Assessment for learning: workshop series
Are your teachers inquiring into increasing learner agency in their classrooms in 2021? Assessment for learning is integral to student-led learning.
Or do you wish to induct new staff into the use of effective AfL practices?
Build on the assessment for learning capability of your staff.
Assessment for learning remains at the heart of effective pedagogy – there is no other proven practice that results in creating active, engaged life-longer learners who make greater progress and achieve better outcomes.
This is a series of three whole-day workshops. The series will take participants through the key principles of assessment for learning providing an overview of the student and teacher capabilities that promote learning-focused relationships and student agency, outlined in Clarity in the Classroom (Michael Absolum, 2006).
Who this workshop is for
The series is ideal for all teachers and leaders who wish to further their understanding and use of assessment for learning. This may also be useful for teachers new to schools which have embedded formative practice, or beginning teachers who wish to deepen their understanding.
What to expect
The full-day workshops are full of practical ideas and resources which support the theory and principles of assessment for learning.
- An understanding of what assessment for learning is and what this could look like in the classroom
- Developing learning focused relationships in the classroom
- Clarity about what is to be learnt
- How to introduce and strengthen the self and peer assessment processes in your classroom Involving students in the assessment process, from administering an assessment to sharing assessment information with them
- Teaching students to reflect on their learning and their engagement in learning
- Giving effective feedback that closes the gap between what students know and what they need to know
- Involving students in the feedback process so they are able to initiate and lead feedback conversations
- Assisting students to have shared clarity about their next learning steps
Between each workshop, you can engage in online, small group coaching with our skilled facilitators to focus on an aspect of assessment for learning practice. There will be sufficient flexibility in the workshops to address current assessment issues relevant to participants.
All workshop participants will receive their own copy of Michael Absolum’s Clarity in the Classroom.
What people say
“This course has helped me bring the focus back to the ‘learning’. We get caught up in the day to day teaching that we forget sometimes ‘why’ we are in the profession. Making those links with our learners about our expectations and the ‘why’ we are learning, ‘what’ we are learning and ‘how’ do we know if our learners are attaining the knowledge we give out. Also learn the importance of co-construction and making the learning the forefront of our core business.”
The 2021 workshop series is held in Epsom, Auckland.
- Day one: Wednesday 3 March
- Day two: Wednesday 5 May
- Day three: Thursday 29 July
If the location or dates don't suit you, why not complete this learning through our online assessment for learning course. Read more about the online course.
This course cost $880 per person + GST
If you are interested in accessing this course through locally-focused PLD funding, talk with us about we can support your application.