Assessment for learning: online course
Do you feel like your students aren’t actively leading their learning? Are you looking for deep, meaningful professional learning to take your classroom practice further? Do you want to learn from New Zealand’s leading consultants in assessment for learning?
Regardless of school type, assessment for learning lies at the heart of effective teaching and learning. It is through assessment for learning that we can shift learners from being passive to active and accelerate achievement outcomes.
This online, facilitated programme will explore the principles underpinning assessment for learning pedagogy. Assessment for learning enhances the way assessment is used in the classroom, promotes learning and wellbeing, and informs local curriculum design, raising progress and achievement for ākonga and students.
You will be supported by our leading assessment for learning facilitators who will guide and challenge your learning and respond to what and how you want to learn.
We’ve combined what we know from over 20 years of assessment for learning professional development and years of face-to-face workshops into an exceptional programme of professional learning designed and facilitated by Allan Powell, Megan Peterson, Jo Moy, and Margaret Hesketh.
By the end of the course, you will have:
- gained an understanding of what assessment for learning is and why it is fundamental to achieving valued outcomes for students
- understood what a learning-focused relationship is and the role of teacher in student in developing relationships most conducive to learning
- understood how to build shared clarity with students about what is to be learnt
- understood the value of self and peer assessment and how they support students to be active learners
- gained some practical ways of introducing and strengthening self and peer assessment
- understood effective principles and practices of promoting further learning through feedback
- understood how to teach students to reflect more deeply on their learning, so they can be authentically involved in deciding on the next steps in their learning
- gained some practical ways to share next learning steps with students.
What to expect
This is an online facilitated course which runs for 18 weeks across two school terms.
In that time, you’ll work through the six assessment for learning capabilities across 14 modules of learning.
- Module 1: introduction to assessment for learning
- Modules 2 – 3: learning-focused relationships
- Modules 4 – 5: clarity about what is to be learnt
- Modules 6 – 8: self and peer assessment and assessment literacy
- Modules 9 – 12: promoting further learning and active reflection
- Modules 13 – 14: shared clarity about next learning steps and bringing it all together.
You will experience a mix of self-paced modules, interactive and challenging content, discussions between peers, small-group coaching webinars with your facilitator, and opportunities to get feedback on your implementation of assessment for learning in your practice.
This course focuses deeply on the principles sitting behind this pedagogical approach, sharing practical strategies that you can implement, as well as connecting to your practice.
In additional to the course time, you’ll spend time implementing strategies, completing challenges and assignments, and working with your ākonga to understand the impact that assessment for learning is having for them.
Who this course is for
This course is designed for New Zealand educators across primary, intermediate, secondary, and special schools who want to create the conditions for active learners to thrive.
Whether you’re new to assessment for learning, new to teaching in Aotearoa, or new to leading pedagogy in your school – this is the course for you.
This course works around your lifestyle – you chose when you engage in the learning and how you apply this learning in practice. You’ll be regularly supported by your facilitator and others in the course along the way.
What people say
- I appreciate the opportunity to interact with the information and apply what we read about. It helps me internalise the information and allows me to ‘experiment’ with the content. I also value the instant feedback of the short activities e.g. quiz to test my understanding.
- Great module, definitely improved my learning of self and peer assessment.
- I was able to easily apply the content to my experience which is greatly beneficial.
Your investment: cost and time
This course costs $810 per person + GST.
This course runs three times each year, starting in Term 1, Term 2, and Term 3. Spaces will fill up quickly.
If you are interested in accessing this course through locally-focused PLD funding, talk with us about we can support your application.
Term 1 2022
Starting 23 February with webinar at 3:30pm
Term 2 2022
Starting 4 May with webinar at 3:30pm
Term 3 2022
Starting 27 July with webinar at 3:30pm
Assessment for Learning online course Term 1 2022
Wednesday 23 February - Friday 8 July,
40 Places Left
Assessment for Learning online course Term 2 2022
Wednesday 4 May - Friday 30 September,
40 Places Left
Assessment for Learning online course Term 3 2022
Wednesday 27 July - Friday 16 December,
40 Places Left