Ray is the Leadership Advisor for secondary schools in Waikato and Bay of Plenty/Waiariki. In his role he will work with primarily beginning principals to support their goals and leadership.
Ray retired from principalship after 18 years as Principal of St John’s College in Hamilton and Aquinas College in Tauranga. These roles involved:
- Development & Implementation of college strategic plans
- Preservation and strengthening of the special character of the colleges
- Leader and motivator of staff
- Provision of high quality holistic education to students
- Marketing and growth of colleges
- Development of college facilities
- Reporting to and working with Board and community.
Ray's earlier experience was in teaching physics, science and mathematics in a variety of New Zealand schools. He has been involved in a number of educational organisations and enterprises:
- Member of Secondary Principal associations including Central North Island Secondary Principals' Association (CNISPA) and Bay of Plenty Secondary Principals' Association (BOPPA), on executive of both organisations.
- Membership of SPANZ since 1999
- Supported the establishment of the Bay of Plenty Catholic Schools Community of Learning / Kāhui Ako
- Development of comprehensive IT systems at both colleges including BYOD at Aquinas College.
Ray lives in Tauranga with his wife Kris. They have three children and two grandchildren. Ray's interests include a wide range of sports, reading and travel.