Ko Hikurangi te maunga
Ko Waiapu te awa
Ko Ngāti Porou te iwi...
He uri a ia o Te Aitanga-a-Mate
Nō Whareponga tōna whānau.
Sue is one of the Leadership Advisors serving and supporting principals and tūmuaki in the Te Tairāwhiti, Wairoa and Hawke's Bay regions.
Before taking up her role Sue was the Principal of Te Kura o Hiruharama for 11 years. Prior to that she worked in the field of pre-service teacher education and as a classroom teacher for 20 years, predominantly in Gisborne and on the East Coast. Over the last 11 years Sue has represented her region on management groups, with Special Education Services, on MoE focus groups and as the Chair of the Ngāti Porou East Coast Principals' Association. She has also spent 10 years on the Board of Trustees of the Kura Kaupapa Māori that her children attended.
Her current role involves:
- supporting and guiding beginning principals in their first two years of principalship
- supporting other principals on a needs basis
- leadership and management advice and collaborations
- learner-focussed leadership inquiry
- localised curriculum development and design
- student achievement – assessment, data analysis, inquiry, monitoring and reporting
- staff performance, appraisal processes, professional learning and development
- cultural responsiveness guidance and advice
- understanding Boards of Trustees – roles, responsibilities and relationships
Sue has three children aged between 18 – 22. She enjoys an active lifestyle and makes the most of opportunities to get outdoors on the East Coast, particularly fishing. She loves reading, music and the arts; she dabbles in her own work when she can find the time. Good food with lashings of laughter are a feature of her regular times with friends and whānau.