Professional learning group for Classical Studies
Classical Studies teachers often find themselves working in isolation as curriculum specialists in many schools. Unlike larger departments, there is usually only one or two classical studies teachers in each school. Connecting with colleagues to develop professional networks can happen but this is often limited by geographic or time boundaries.
Evaluation Associates is offering an online professional learning group specifically for Classical Studies teachers in 2020. This group is facilitated by Megan Peterson. Megan is a leading expert in Classical Studies education. She is a former National Moderator, standards writer, examiner, marker, and president of the New Zealand Association of Classical Teachers. Megan’s pedagogical expertise lies in assessment for learning and innovative teaching practice.
Classical Studies teachers will engage in the learning with small groups of 6 – 10 people. The groups will be comprised of teachers from different schools which will strengthen the learning experience.
The areas of focus will be co-constructed with the group based on their needs. Areas of focus could include:
- Curriculum development
- Assessment practices in Classical Studies
- Approaches to student-centred learning in Classical Studies
- Exploration of different contexts for learning
- Engaging with contemporary scholarship in Classical Studies
- Resource development
- Moderation practices, including collaborative moderation
- Assessment development
Members of the professional learning group will engage in seven 1½ hour sessions over the year. The sessions will be made up of both theory and practice and will allow each member to delve into their own practice.
- Thursday 13 February, 3:30 – 5:00 pm
- Thursday 12 March, 3:30 – 5:00 pm
- Thursday 7 May, 3:30 – 5:00 pm
- Thursday 18 June, 3:30 – 5:00 pm
- Thursday 30 July, 3:30 – 5:00 pm
- Thursday 10 Sept, 3:30 – 5:00 pm
- Thursday 22 October, 3:30 – 5:00 pm
Price: $489+ GST per person for the whole year.
Online registrations for the course are now closed. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 10 February if you are interested in participating.