Beginning Principal Mentor(s)
Location: All regions
We are seeking current practising principals to register their interest in being a mentor for a beginning principal. It is expected that mentors will provide support to beginning principals in their local area. The mentors will work in conjunction with the leadership advisors to provide a strong network of support for these principals. Please find below the role description and person specifications.
Regional management groups will meet once a term to review and confirm the mentor lists in each region.
Beginning Principal Mentor Role Description
The mentor will:
- Be a current practicing principal.
- Have previously met the requirements of an experienced principal within the Primary, Area and Secondary Principal Career Structures.
- Have evidence of having lead a successful school.
- Have a sound understanding of school system requirements such as Novopay and Ministry of Education requirements including planning and reporting.
- Have strong networks with local principals’ groups and local services such as the local MoE advisors and NZSTA.
- Be confirmed as a mentor by the local regional management group consisting of local principal associations, Ministry of Education and Evaluation Associates representatives.
- The mentor will act as the first point of contact and sounding board for the principal for day-to-day queries and issues that arise.
- The mentor will maintain regular contact with the beginning principal to provide timely support.
- The mentor will work with the local leadership advisor to form a strong network of support for the beginning principal.
The mentor will enable the beginning principal to:
- Raise issues in a timely way
- Fulfil their day to day management role
- Build a sound working knowledge of school system requirements e.g. Novopay, charter requirements, student achievement reporting, roll returns.
- Connect to local support services for principals and online resources
- Connect with local principal networks and professional learning groups
Key Working Relationships
The mentor will sustain positive and collaborative relationships with:
- The beginning principal(s) they are mentoring
- The leadership advisor leading the support for their mentees
- Other mentors, particularly in their region
The mentor will undertake the following work in fulfilling this role:
- Meet the beginning principal in person within the first term of being assigned their mentor to ascertain their capacity in the day-to-day management of their school and the support required
- Complete the Evaluation Associates day-to-day management checklist to assist in identifying focuses for the support and to inform Evaluation Associates work at a local and regional level.
- Utilize the Evaluation Associates term checklist to guide timely support around day-to-day management on a term by term basis
- Develop ongoing support for the beginning principal(s) through a mix of phone and skype calls and approximately one on-site visit per term
- Provide feedback to the principal on their progress in their day-to-day management of the school
- Engage in mentor development meetings
- Provide a report once a term to the leadership advisor using the Evaluation Associates report form outlining the support provided to the beginning principal(s)
- Submit an invoice once a term to Evaluation Associates from the mentor’s school for the term’s financial acknowledgement of $250 plus travel expenses
- Inform their own Board of Trustees of their work with the beginning principal to contribute to their current or future request for affirmation of meeting the criteria for a Leading Principal within the Career Structure
To register your interest please send a one-page letter outlining your suitability for this role and the location you are able to mentor in to firstname.lastname@example.org.