National hui 2017 overview
Leading Learning - Being Strategic
The team of Leadership Advisors has very much enjoyed being involved in the national hui.
The three days were a mix of keynote speakers, targeted workshops and opportunities to share and network with other beginning principals. We looked at a range of topics including management, finance, property, leadership, staff wellness (including principals' own!) and how leadership impacts on equity and excellence for all. There were opportunities to hear current principals willing to share their leadership learning and we built in several times in the hui to meet in sector groups.
Keynote addresses included the following:
- Distinguished Professor Viviane Robinson started the day off on Tuesday with a focus on leading change by doing less, based on her soon to be released book, Reduce Change to Increase Improvement.
- Dr Ann Milne and Hoana Pearson looked at the challenges and opportunities inherent in being a culturally responsive leader.
- Dr Phil Riley from ACU Melbourne focused on principal health and wellbeing.
- Cathy Wylie from NZCER worked with us on the principals’ component of the Teaching and School Practices Survey Tool.
- Derek Wenmoth provided some challenges and insights about what the future might be like for leaders and learners.
The programme was designed to be active and interactive. Particpants were encouraged to engage in problem solving and action planning as well as sharing your expertise, highlights and challenges with others.
There were whole group presentations as well as time for principals to engage in workshops with those from the same or very similar contexts, for example secondary, small rural primary, area schools, integrated, Te Kura Kaupapa Māori.
Where: Holiday Inn, Auckland Airport
When: October 3rd – 5th Inclusive
Documents for use at the hui
These documents are available for download for use at the hui.
Please be aware that if you are downloading documents from our website for the first time, you will be asked to provide your name and email address for our records.